Thursday, October 16, 2014

Some Days Things Just Happen



We’ve all had ‘one of those days’, and they can start in the most ordinary way.  I awoke feeling refreshed before my alarm had gone off. This was surprising because yesterday I had ridden to and from work on my bicycle, and I gratefully realised I was feeling alert and pain free. I put on a load of washing and felt self-righteous that I should be so organised that I would have time to hang it out before I went to work.

I had to be organised for the ‘tow truck’ which was coming to take my car to the mechanic for some much need attention to the cooling system – essentially there was no longer any water to be found in the radiator and I am waiting to hear what needs replacing.  The tow truck is, in fact, a rather impressive Outback Recovery vehicle, so I was sure I would hear it arrive.  

About 20 minutes before it was due there was a loud noise over the back fence. I thought I should check that it wasn’t the truck, and to my surprise I found a bike and rider sprawled on the ground. I asked the obvious “Are you okay?” which he clearly was not.  A rogue rock had been responsible for his unexpected crash into the fence and he suspected a broken collar-bone.  Two other folk walked past, offered assistance, and one commented on his state of calm. I couldn’t drive him to the hospital, and doubling him on my bike was not a good option, so I got a chair for him while he waited to be picked up. 

Not long after he had left, the truck arrived and I sent my car to the mechanic.  The washing was done and I was on schedule.  The 9 month old puppy I share the yard with came around to supervise the pegging process, but found something else to amuse her.  Like most puppies, she likes to dig, and so she started digging a hole right next to me.  Alice Springs, like my radiator, suffers from a lack of moisture and the ground beneath my washing line is currently quite barren and dry.  Said puppy was by now getting quite into the rhythm of digging and changed direction slightly – just enough to send all the red dirt into the basket of wet washing – not a pretty sight! I had no option but to wash it again and hope that the dust would leave no marks. The puppy is extremely lucky my current night time reading is Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff  by Richard Carlson.

I was now too late for my first option of riding to the town campus and getting the students’ bus to work, so I headed off on the 45 minute ride, aiming for a quick drink stop halfway.  Stop I did, but a little earlier than planned.  In two places I had gone off the path to go past walkers, apparently to my detriment.  I felt a slight change in the back tyre and realised it had a puncture caused by one the quite sharp burrs we have here.  It was my first puncture with this bike, and I still had 5km to go.  I wasn’t sure how to remove the chain, so while I pondered what to do, I rang my students and told them I would be another hour as I had to walk.  Almost immediately I got a message saying one of my students would come and pick me up.  This afternoon a work colleague drove me to the bike shop so I could get the tyre replaced.  One of my favourite philosophies is ‘Pass it on’, but I was not expecting to be the recipient of kindness so soon after helping someone else. 

With a new anti-puncture tyre with special goo to reduce the likelihood of more problems, I was thankfully on my way again, just in time to see the Enduro bike challenge up ANZAC Hill, one of the events in the 2014 Alice Springs Masters Games.  The interesting thing about this event is not so much the skill in scaling a steep winding hill, but the fact that a costume of some sort is a pre-requisite – I have never seen so many superheroes, pirates or gents in onesies before. Fake muscles and a very large blow up kangaroo were the order of the day, and the costumes seemed in no way to hinder the upward progress.  One lady in a spotted dress, as the first competitor, held the winning time for all of 10 seconds – I take my helmet off to her in salute of her reaching the top at all!
 
If I had not had the puncture I would have missed the fun of watching the hill climb. However, I will not be disappointed if tomorrow is less exciting.

My next challenge is to remove my rodent flatmate once and for all. More of him/her another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment