Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Somewhere New

I've discovered there are lots of advantages in going somehwere new.  They are, in no particular order:
  • you can wear the same clothes you've been wearing for years and as far as everyone else is concerned they are new
  • you learn to really look at your surroundings - each tree, corner, shop and face is new
  • every conversation is new, as is the person you are having it with, and you have no idea what you might learn
  • it's fun arguing with other people's stereotypes e.g. I like living somewhere where you can smile at people when you walk past them.  (Apparently people only smile in country towns, and absolutley never in Sydney!)
  • simple things like catching a bus, which drives the locals crazy, is fun.  I actually appreciate not having to walk 10 kms to work, whereas other people are annoyed that the bus is late, there are not many of them, and they are probably late anyway.
Today's high point was when I was walking home from Target with my rather bulky purchases, a young girl from north of Cairns was walking past me, and offered to help me carry them home.  We chatted all the way, and it's fun sharing journeys.  She is working at Kings Canyon resort and hasn't seen an apple since last time she was in town, and has some plans for her next job - on the high seas with any luck.

So today's words of wisdom - take time to have a conversation with someone you haven't spoken to before - your journey can start without you travelling too far from home (and without having to carry bulky parcels) :)

1 comment:

  1. yep, that clothes one is a real winner!! my mom keeps telling me if i just switched my wardrobe at home with my wardrobe here, everyone would think i had tons of entirely new clothes!

    ReplyDelete