Friday, November 2, 2012

Visitor and Hugs in the Centre

I can't believe it's been nearly two months since I wrote - and more than that since I arrived in Alice Springs. I was blessed with my first house guest of the human variety last week - I try not to count the ants, spiders and small furry rodent who pop by from time to time!



It was so lovely to have Melissa here - especially as she was clearly as besotted with the Red Centre as I am! She now carries a piece of the Heart in her heart!  We also got to share the visit with some new friends from Scotland who I met on my dancing holiday in Victoria.  It was so much fun showing off my new home and hometown.


My Studio Apartment

My kitchen

After enjoying a few dinners and eating way too much on the dancing holiday, I decided to start walking in the mornings.  I finally made the effort yesterday and was rewarded with a kangaroo jumping across the track and a flock of budgerigars flying so close that I could feel the wind as they passed me from behind!

A few days ago I was thinking that one of the things that you really miss when you are away from family and friends is hugs.  There is no one to hug you.  It was a sad thought, and I realised how easy it is to feel very lonely with no close contact.  It's interesting the difference a few days makes.  Today I got several heartfelt hugs from my students.  It was the end of an intensive workshop week, and they had submitted their assignments and were heading off home to various towns and communities in NT, QLD and NSW.  The hugs were unexpected, and treasured.  I was also told I was 'Deadly' - the greatest compliment I could have received.  The Indigenous awards are called the Deadly Awards - the Deadlys.  So ... if I miss out on a few hugs, I can be happy knowing that it is really worthwhile - I am doing something deadly by being here and that is what this time in Alice Springs is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment