Sunday, November 4, 2012

Tribute Concert to Ted Egan


I've just spent a most delightful two and a half hours at the final Alice Springs Desert Park Courtyard Session for 2012.  It was my first time, but it’s been on my calendar since before I left Sydney.  I first encountered Ted Egan’s songs on my first trip to the Centre with Teachers’ College in 1977.  In 1995 on our trip around Australia with the girls, Greg surprised me by getting tickets to Ted’s concert.  After the show Ted sat outside with the all the kids and pointed out the constellations in the Alice sky.  Every time I look at Orion’s belt, I remember that night and Ted. His autobiography, Sit Down Up North, was instrumental in my initial understanding of aspects of Indigenous culture, and my desire to learn more.  It well may have planted the first seeds of interest in what I am now doing.   As well as being a prolific songwriter, Ted is an historian, was a teacher and has worked closely with Indigenous communities in a variety of capacities, and is a National Living Treasure…  and a really genuine bloke. He was awarded the Order of Australia in 1991 for his services to the Aboriginal people and contribution to Australia's literary heritage.  I was privileged to meet him at a party several weeks ago.

Several talented local musicians sang songs Ted had written, and some of their own, and then we were treated to Ted performing himself – under the Alice stars.  I cannot believe how lucky I am to be here. I left with a smile on my face, and a handful of CDs to entertain me – my original tape has had its day.  You probably know some of his songs  - Two Little Boys recorded by Rolf Harris and Drover's Boy recorded by John Williamson.  Of course, neither of them accompanies their songs on the beer carton – tonight it was the ‘Fosterphone’!  If you don’t know Ted’s songs, download some or feel free to visit me and I’ll introduce you to his musical history of Australia.
Ted Egan with the West Macdonnells in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment