Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cool change in Alice Springs

It was hot today, every bit the 40 degrees that we had been expecting since the weekend, but a few degrees lower than some of the other areas mentioned on the weather report, like Lajamanu, where 42 was the maximum, and their next 5 days are likely to be 40 or more.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first swim of the season. The water was cool, but not cold, and it was nice to get into the rhythm of a few (short) laps of freestyle and backstroke.  I hung out some washing and by the time I had had a shower and cooked dinner, the washing was nearly dry.  The cool change had arrived and I sat outside eating dinner in the gentle breeze, which gusted from time to time, causing a branch to scrape along the fence or a seed to blow off its tree and roll along the channels in the corrugated roof of my awning.  Above ANZAC Hill the kites (birds) were circling, playing on the thermals - a magnificent flock of over forty birds.

Gradually the stars came out and I wanted to sit there all night.  If I owned the statutory swag of true Centralians, I just may have been tempted to sleep out under the stars in the cool breeze.  To be honest it’s not exactly cool – according to my app, it was 32.1 at 6pm and is currently around 30 degrees.  It’s all relative, of course, as 30 is considerably cooler than 40.

As I sit listening to Henri Salvador’s cool jazz Chambre Avec Vue – I am at risk of falling sleep before I finish this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment